Superior real estate services across the Big Island of Hawaii
Constantly striving to match the right people with the right real estate properties
Melissa Kalauli Realty Hilo, Hawaii sets the market standard when it comes to buying, selling and renting property across the Big Island. We are committed to providing the very best real estate services available! You can rely on us.
With our proven hands-on approach to rental property management, we are ready to assist you for all your real estate management needs. From our office in Hilo, we manage single-family homes, condominiums, apartments, fully furnished units and vacation rental units. We are committed to excellence and providing the highest quality of customer service.
We will advertise your rental property on our website, the Hawaii Tribune-Herald local newspaper and on our in-house list of available rentals. We also have great working relationships with various housing agencies that post our rental list on a regular basis. Additionally, we continuously monitor market conditions in order to optimize your return on your investment property.
We provide thorough tenant pre-qualifying services to applicants for your rental property. We verify rental history, check references with prior landlords, verify income, sources of income and employment history. Please keep in mind that the key to a successful and smooth property management operation is the careful selection of tenants. Therefore, as noted earlier, we carefully review each applicant and verify past rental references, income, personal references and criminal backgrounds. This is where experience matters most.
We conduct on-site property inspections before a tenant takes occupancy, periodically during a tenant’s lease, and immediately after the tenant vacates. All new tenants are given a current inspection report to acknowledge along with an inventory/check-in list. When a tenant vacates the unit, the inspection report is used to identify any damage not caused by normal wear and tear. Any and all damages caused by the tenant (excluding normal wear and tear) are charged against the tenant’s security deposit. The property must also be cleaned according to our extensive cleaning list before any part of the security deposit is refunded.
Repairs and Maintenance:
We manage all repair calls and respond accordingly and in a timely manner. We monitor all repairs and maintenance work on your property by our vendors. We process invoices for completed work and provide payment to vendors from your monthly rental income. A copy of all invoices will be included with your monthly income statement.
Bill Payment Service:
Our bill payment services can be tailored to accommodate your specific needs. We can pay normal monthly bills such as utilities and yard service on your behalf as part of our standard property management service. At your request, we may provide bill payment services for your mortgage, insurances, association fees, State of Hawaii General Excise Tax, and other bills.
Monthly Income/Expense Statements:
We provide monthly income and expense reports that include details for the current month and a year to date summary. This includes copies of invoices for purchases and services for your property. We provide year-end reports, including 1099 tax forms at the end of the calendar year.
All tenants are required to sign a rental agreement of minimum six-months. Melissa Kalauli Realty, LLC has included many clauses in the rental agreement that protect both the owner and the tenant. The required disclosures are intended to insure compliance with Federal, State and Local laws.
Rental payments are always due on the 1st day of each month and considered late after the 5th day of the month. We strive to be very proactive about collecting the rent on time and we will work hard to get the rent paid on time so we can pay you in a timely manner each month.
Our management policies strictly adhere to the policies set forth in Section 521 of the Hawaii Revised Statutes, the Hawaii Landlord-Tenant Code, along with Federal and State Fair Housing laws.
Download the Rental Application
At Melissa Kalauli Realty in Hilo, our goal is to provide you with prompt real estate services. Your maintenance request is important to us, as we want to take care of your problem as quickly as possible. Please fill out the required documentation, be specific in your answers and note the “tenant responsibilities” as part of this submission.Routine maintenance requests are processed only during normal business hours. After we receive your request, someone should be in contact with you within 48 business hours. If you don’t hear from anyone, please call our office to follow up. With this submission request, you agree to the “Tenants Responsibilities” listed below.Furthermore, if this is an after hours emergency, please call (808) 896-0887, leave a message and someone will return your call. Examples of emergencies are active water leaking, flooding, water heater or refrigerator not working, or spark from appliances/electrical outlets, etc.To report gas fumes and gas leaks, please contact The Gas Company at (808) 935-0023.To report a FIRE or Natural Disasters, call 911 first!
Missed Appointments:You will be responsible for the payment of any service call charged for: 1) a missed appointment, 2) not providing access to your unit when requested, 3) leaving a keyless bolting devices engaged, or 4) not following other instructions as you agreed that results in the service agent not gaining entry to the property.
Request for repairs outside of straight time:
Requests for vendors to make repairs outside of “straight time” or outside of normal working hours of the vendor’s workweek will be charged to the tenant.
By submitting this work request, the tenant acknowledges that if the repair is found to be due to negligence, misuse, or failure to perform required routine maintenance task, the tenant will be responsible for payment of the repair, as per the lease agreement.
The tenant is responsible for the safety and well-being of their pet(s). The tenant is responsible for keeping their pet(s) under proper control at all times. Tenants agree to NOT hold Melissa Kalauli Realty, LLC, or service providers liable if their pet(s) escapes confinement and leaves the premises.
Buying and Selling Property
If you’re interested in buying or selling a property, Melissa Kalauli Realty LLC in Hilo can help you! If you’re buying, we can actively look for properties to suit your specific needs on the Big Island. If you’re selling, we can promote your property and deal with prospective buyers. Whichever the case, we’ll facilitate the necessary research, conversations, negotiations and documentation. Contact us today and talk to us about your particular real estate needs.
Applicants can either fax back the completed application or email it to us.
- IMPORTANT: Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Rental applications are processed in accordance with Federal and State Fair Housing laws. We agree to assist all applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, handicap, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age or HIV infection.
- A copy of a driver’s license, military ID, government or state issued ID with photo must accompany all rental applications.
- We do not select tenants on a “first-come, first-served” basis. Rental properties are rented to the best qualified applicant. Property owners may provide input on tenant selection.
- Inaccurate or falsified information shall be grounds for denial.
- Denial of one applicant may result in the denial of all applicants.
- Applications must specify the property address or addresses that are being applied for.
- Processing of applications require a minimum of three business days.
- It is your responsibility as an applicant to contact Melissa Kalauli Realty, LLC to verify whether or not your application has been approved.
- When your application is approved, an appointment will be made with you to view the property.
- Once approved and applicant agrees to rent the property, the applicant agrees to remit the specified Security Deposit within two days of acceptance date. Security deposits shall be paid in full via cashier’s check, bank check or money order prior to the execution of the rental agreement. In the event the Security Deposit is not paid, Melissa Kalauli Realty, LLC may deem the application to be withdrawn and will be under no further obligation to the applicant.
- Applicants agree that the first month’s full or pro-rata rent is due in advance of taking occupancy. This total amount will be paid via cashier’s check, bank check or money order.
- Applicant acknowledges that once they are tenants of Melissa Kalauli Realty, LLC, their rent shall always be due on the 1st day of each month and will be considered late after the 5th day of each month. After the 5th day of the month, a late fee of 10% of the total rent will be assessed.
- In the event that the applicant fails to take occupancy by the agreed lease start date, Melissa Kalauli Realty, LLC (on behalf of owner) may bring an action for damages for breach of contract and retain any security deposit paid. Applicant shall be held responsible for the rent from the period specified as the lease start date until the unit is re-rented plus any costs including but not limited to advertising, cleaning, etc. which may be deemed necessary to re-rent the unit.